Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s theme is Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book. So basically the polar opposite of last week. YIKES. I guess all is fair in honesty and preferences? I don’t generally like to be negative, so I’m going to make this quick.
- Over-sexualized covers. I love romance and steamy scenes as much as the next girl, or maybe even more, but I don’t need it to be spelled out on the cover in bare torsos and cleavage.
- Openings that over-explain the created world instead of just SHOWING things as they go.
- Any cover that says “FOR FANS OF…” and go on to list well-loved authors or books, and then you find out that they have nothing at all in common. That’s just poor marketing. Or maybe it’s good marketing because people fall for it… I’m not sure.
- Titles with swears. Shock factor is not shocking when used in this manner. It’s just lame to me. And true, sometimes it works itself out in the book itself, but on initial buying power… this is one that will leave me looking elsewhere.
- There are certain children and adult fiction authors that I’ve witness as rude to fans or their assistant or to hotel/restaurant workers, and to me that means I will not be their patron. Sorry. Not sorry.
- Overly grotesque covers. I’ve read a lot of horror stories, but I do not need a Dexter-esque flashback from seeing a cover at a bookstore. Keep the gore in the pages.
- Whenever the third book in a trilogy has plummeting ratings in comparison to the first two books. It will actually often prevent me from reading the full trilogy, knowing that it is likely that the author tanked the last book in the eyes of so many fans. But, this is not a standard rule. Sometimes the third book is worth reading and the ending makes sense to me.
- Titles that are apparent plays off of other more popular titles for attention or fan-fic-like purposes. If I want to read a recreation of another book or a fan-fic tale, there’s plenty of that available and I know where to find it without having to spend money at the bookstore.
- Easy to spot and really cheesy sounding pen names. Just use your real name, or a name that would actually occur.
- Love triangles on the cover. I don’t actually mind when love triangles enhance a story, but if it is straight up on the cover, I’m guessing that’s all the book is about.
I’m sure I have a lot of other preferences that I don’t even think about before skipping over a book. We all must. But these were the ones that came to mind the quickest. There is a whole other list of things that would make me STOP reading a book, but since this was not wanting to read it at all, I’m good with this list.
Can’t wait to read other posts on this topic!